Its 2019!

It's (September) 2019


...and I haven't posted on my blog!  I started my blog to have a place to share my thoughts on books. And to maybe post some author interviews and other random tidbits.  This worked for me for a while.  Until it didn't.  I just moseyed over here today and realized I haven't posted since December 2018.  This wasn't a purposeful hiatus, but whatever.  Here I am again.  I have tentative and soft thoughts about picking my (pretty much unfollowed) blog back up.  Instead of just posting reviews (you can get those at Goodreads and on Instagram), I'm hoping to post some other bookish content.  So, this post is really a note to myself to come back to this space to write and share my thoughts with the anonymous internet.

Whats new with me?  Tons!  So far in 2019, we:
  • Bought a new house!
  • Traveled to New Zealand
  • Traveled to Italy
  • Went back to the midwest to visit family and celebrate Henry's first birthday
Okay, those are the bigs, but there are have been tons of littles, too.  I've also read 84 books so far this year!  I'm digging contemporary romance and fantasy.  I'm also totally loving backlist titles and I'm not reviewing many publisher ARCs these days.  

I'm currently reading:


The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

  • So, basically, this is Theo's story.  At age 13, he's in an explosion at the MET and kind of accidentally but kind of purposely steals a super expensive painting.  Oh, and his mother dies in the explosion.  This novel is the story of his life AFTER that happens.  And Theo is a bit of a mess.
  • I'm not sure what I think of this one.  On one hand, it is verbose and a bit boring at times.  Theo makes stupid stupid decisions constantly.  On the other hand, I feel like it is insightful and reflective of our time.  I'm looking forward to reading the last 20% and THEN reading all of the professional analysis and making a more informed decision about it.


The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker

  • I just started this one on Kindle last week and have only made a small dent in it.  College campus and a crazy sleeping illness.  I'm in.  Haven't read enough to form much of an opinion at this time.

China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan

  • I've read maybe the first 100 pages of this one.  I brought it on vacation with me over Labor Day weekend and snuck a few pages in here and there.  Overall, I like the story.  Its not enticing me quite as much as Crazy Rich Asians did, but I'm still pretty early on.  Fun and "snarky" as I like to tell my husband, who likes to point out that "duh, its on the cover"

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green

  • My library hold for this one just came up, so I started this one in last night on audio.  So far, I kind of hate the main character.  She's pretentious. She knows this.  But this doesn't make her any less annoying so far.  That being said, I love sci-fi and I'm looking forward to seeing where this one goes!

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

  • Okay, I wouldn't so much say I've started this one as say its on my TBR, but high up there.  I'm trying to slowly but surely make my way through the Wheel of Times series, and this is the book I'm on.  For some reason, I've been putting this book off.  But I really really want to get back into this world.  Will be reading more (I've only read the Prologue so far) ASAP.

Okay, I guess 5 books is enough!  And yes, I can totally keep all 5 books apart.  I don't know why I read so many at once, its just what I do!  Happy September, which is just extended summer here in AZ!

Comments

Popular Posts