Book Review: Mr. & Mrs. American Pie

Mr. & Mrs. American Pie
by: Juliet McDaniel



Date Finished: August 12, 2018
Publication Date: August 7, 2018
Publisher: Inkshares
Format: e-book

Disclaimer: Thank you to netgalley and the publisher, Inkshares, for the free e-copy of Mr. and Mrs. American Pie.  All opinions expressed below are my own. 

Synopsis:
Mr. and Mrs. American Pie takes place in 1969.  Maxine Simmons is a socialite in Palm Springs and enjoys working her way to the top of the social hierarchy...only to be toppled by Evelyn, the social queen.  Maxine is hit with divorce papers and forced out of Palm Springs and away from her husband's money.  She is exiled to Scottsdale, Arizona, where she starts over.  Evelyn decides that her goal is to become Mrs. American Pie - a beauty queen who is known for being an amazing wife and mother.  The only problem is - Maxine doesn't have a husband or children.  She doesn't that stop her, though!

Review:
I don't quite know what I expected when I started Mr. and Mrs. American Pie, but I was pleasantly surprised by this unique romp.  To wrap up this book in one word - snarky!  The social hierarchy and frenemies described in this novel are just as relevant in 2018 as they were in 1969. 

This is definitely a satire addressing how we envision the American Dream.  It also brings to light important issues such as sex, race, and homosexuality in such an amazing way.  The author has a subtle way to share her social commentary while keeping the reader entertained and laughing. 

This wasn't my typical read and I don't have a ton to say about it from a literary perspective beyond that I enjoyed it and I'd definitely pick up other works by Juliet McDaniel.  3.5 stars from me!

Comments

Popular Posts