Book Review: Only Human (Themis Files #3)

Only Human (Themis Files #3)
by Sylvain Nuevel



Date Finished: July 17, 2018
Publication Date: May 1, 2018
Publisher: Del Rey Books
Format: e-book

Thank you to the publisher, Del Rey Books, and Netgalley for the free e-copy of Only Human (Themis Files #3).  All opinions expressed below are my own.

Synopsis:
Only Human is the third and final book in the Themis Files trilogy by Sylvain Nuevel.  In Only Human, it is 10 years after the conclusion of Waking Gods (book 2) and Themis is transported back to Earth, with Rose, Vincent, and Kara in tow.  Following Themis' departure, Earth is now in shambles and on the brink of nuclear world war.  In Only Human, we have flashbacks to the group's time on an alien planet with politics quite different than those on Earth alternating with present day chapters.

Review:
So, for a little background, I read Sleeping Giants (book 1) and Waking Gods (book 2) via audiobooks.  I don't always love audiobooks, but these books work perfectly in that format due to the interview style.  I received an advanced copy of book 3 via netgalley and thus read it on my e-reader.  I didn't enjoy book 3 as much as the earlier books, but wonder if that also has to do with the format. 

I often feel a bit underwhelmed reading the conclusions of trilogies. I feel like there is so much action and storylines to wrap up and the book can feel like a waste.  I don't totally feel that way with Only Human, but do admit that I didn't find it as compelling as the earlier books (which were 4 star reads for me).  I found myself having to push myself to finish Only Human - there is less action and more theory being presented in this one and it was hard for me personally.



I highly recommend the Themis Files series and would rate the entire series as 4 star.  I liked the interview/diary format and would strongly recommend listening to these as audiobooks.  The narrators do an amazing job!  When looking at Only Human individually, I'd rate it 3 stars.  Its an okay conclusion, but many of the elements that caused me to love the first two books (sense of mystery/unknown and all the action) were simply not as strong in book 3. 

Comments

Popular Posts