Book Review: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

Written by: Taylor Jenkins Reid
Published by: Atria Books


Start Date: June 11, 2017
Finish Date: June 13, 2017

"It's a hard business, reconciling what the truth used to be with what the truth is now."  -Evelyn, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo






Synopsis: This is a novel about the fictional character, Evelyn Hugo.  She is the Hollywood celebrity you want to be best friends with (or at least think you do).  This novel is told from two viewpoints and with flashbacks covering most of one character's lifetime.  It is first told by Monique, a journalist who Evelyn chooses to write her biography.  It is also told by Evelyn, an aged Academy Award winning actress and former bombshell.  Throughout the text, Evelyn tells Monique her Hollywood history and relives all of the loves of her life.  For me, this novel really tells the story of Evelyn's career and ultimately figuring out who she really is and what she wants out of life.

"But the truth is, praise is just like an addiction.  The more you get it, the more you need just to stay even."  - Evelyn, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo




Praise:

  • I appreciate that Taylor Jenkins Reid was not afraid to tackle difficult issues.  
  • While there were definitely sexy moments in the text, nothing felt dirty - this isn't a book that I would be embarrassed to recommend to my mother or a female co-worker.  This is not a book that you would cringe seeing others read on planes (*cough* 50 Shades of Grey).
  • Let's talk about women's rights!!  This book has one STRONG female character who knows what she wants (usually) and isn't afraid to go for it.  I loved Evelyn's character - her flaws made her all that much more realistic and admirable.  


"It was a problem.  But it was a solvable problem, and solvable problems aren't really problems, are they?" -Evelyn, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

Cons:

  • Monique's character fell short for me.  I think that was my biggest drawback with this text.  While her role was tied in nicely at the end, I just felt that the reader never got a chance to know her or develop a love for her.  I wish this plot line had been further developed.  



While I initially pegged it as a light, "beach-y" read, it surprised me with its ability to tackle more difficult subject matters such as LGBTQ+ issues, the right to die/death with dignity debates, domestic abuse, and sexual rights.  I would recommend this book to all of your girlfriends.  While it may not be a book that everyone LOVES - I can't image that the ladies in your life won't at least really like it.

Comments

Popular Posts